Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson (reviewed by Amethyst Collins)

Oh, where to start. I LOVED this book. Absolutely adored it. I figured out the ending about halfway through, but then for the rest of the story the author had me second-guessing myself. The words “historical fiction” usually have me running and often screaming as I go, but I’m beginning to learn that the fiction is usually more prominent in the story. (History is not my favorite subject.) I recently read another “historical fiction” novel that I really enjoyed, though, and I think I’m discovering a love for a new genre.

The author did a lot of research for this book, and it was very realistic. Apparently she loosely based the story on Sleeping Beauty, but there was only one moment where I was reminded of that fairytale. In my opinion, that’s a good thing, because it means she brought a lot of her own ideas to it. The romance in this story made me extremely happy. I kept exclaiming out loud so much about events that were happening, my mom actually came into my room to see what was up - I think she thought I was talking with a friend, and it was getting to be late at night.

This is one of those books that I never want to end because the world I’m in is so interesting and the characters are so lovable and the writing is so real. I envy you who are going to read it for the first time, because it will all be a surprise. Do I recommend? With all of my heart.

--

YAY, Amethyst, is there anything better than finding a new genre and a new book to love!? Want to see if you could fall in love with this book too? Click here to check our catalog to see if The Healer's Apprentice is on our shelves.