Monday, February 14, 2011

The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke (reviewed by Bear Schacht)

When browsing for a book at the library the title The Thief Lord caught my eye. I recognized the author's name, Funke, from another book I enjoyed, Dragon Rider. The Thief Lord takes place in Venice, Italy and follows a small band of thief children. The story focuses on Prosper and Bo, two runaway brothers, and Scipio, the group's leader, a boy who wants to be grown-up. When the guardians of Prosper and Bo send a detective after them the band of thieves's way of living is shaken up and Scipio gets the biggest job he ever has to do. The friendshop between the children, especially the brothers, and how they use their wits to get by, combined with some very amusing bits and some mystery as well, made it very enjoyable to read. Unlike most of my other favorite books, The Thief Lord is not part of a series. It is a very solid, self-sufficient story that is about 350 pages long. I would recommend this book to just about anyone.

--
I love Cornelia Funke! This one had an ending I did not see coming, which was a real surprise for once. Click here to check our catalog to see if The Thief Lord is on our shelves.